- Patricia Silva, LPC
How to make the most of therapy
Updated: May 23
We know starting counseling can be a daunting task. Check out these recommendations about how to make the most of your 50 minute sessions with your therapist!
1. Ask questions: Talk about therapy in therapy. Counselors know that you may be unsure of what to expect. No questions are silly questions.
2. Be honest: It can be hard to open up and face some feelings or situations. Your counselor is not there to judge you but to help you through those.
3. Be open: Patterns of thinking and feelings can be hard to change. Therapy may prompt you to consider things in a different way or try something new.
4. Take courage: it may be challenging to experience difficult feelings, it’s part of the hard work. Your counselor is there to equip you to process hard things in helpful ways.
5. Participate: you know more of yourself than anyone else in the therapy room. Don’t hesitate to bring your input to session. Also, do your homework!
6. Celebrate often: Acknowledge growth and small victories as they come. Recognizing progress is just as important as reaching your ultimate goals.
We hope these are helpful tips! Try to address any reservations or concerns with your therapist this week - remember, they are there to help you in this journey.
Patricia Silva, LPC